A father and son have been jailed for the death of a British teenager who drowned after falling into a filthy hotel swimming pool while on holiday in a Cypriot party town.

Brit Savvakis Georgiou Alexandrou, 18, slipped and fell into the pool after taking part in alcohol-fuelled festivities in Ayia Napa late at night in August 2014.

Even though there were apparently more than a dozen people around the pool, nobody realised what had happened until a female swimmer tripped over his body at the bottom of the rubbish-filled pool.

It is believed he was under water for between five and 20 minutes.

Several people tried to revive the teen, but he was pronounced dead at Famagusta Hospital with a post mortem confirming that he had drowned in the early hours of August 18.

At the time the pool was described as being green from algae and littered with rubbish that included syringes, condoms and cigarette butts.

Savvakis drowned in the pool
Savvakis drowned in the pool

The youngster, who was on the books of League Two football club Stevenage FC, had travelled to the party hotspot with his cousin after they had visited their grandparents in nearby Protaras.

He had been booked into another hotel before moving to the Kalypso where he died.

After his body was flown back home his girlfriend Mercedes Cole wrote a touching tribute to him.

She said: "All I am able to say is I had the world's best boyfriend and would do absolutely anything to be back in his arms my beautiful angel."

An autopsy confirmed that the victim had drowned and that alcohol use was a contributing factor.

On Monday, Famagusta district court jailed two men who are reportedly owners of the hotel.

The 63 and 33-year-old have not been named, but were locked up for four and three months respectively while the company they ran was also fined €2,000 EUR (£1,680).

A statement issued by the court read: "He had previously consumed a large quantity of alcohol, something which made his death quiet and imperceptible to others at the venue."

The court added that signs around the complex warning of the risk of drinking were an "oxymoron as the people the signs were addressing had a diminished perception of the risk because of the consumption of alcohol."

Savvakis was just 18 when he died
Savvakis was just 18 when he died

The courts statement continued: "[The] use of the pool in the early morning hours was not only open to people who had previously consumed alcohol, but was effectively encouraged, from what was shown, as part of a package combining alcohol consumption and the pool's operation."

According to local media, revellers ended up in the swimming pool in the early hours of the morning after leaving the town's nightclubs and hot spots.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

Although the poolside bar was open and selling alcohol to guests, no lifeguards were on duty, according to reports.

The court said: "The defendants had created a dangerous situation due to the operation of a pool that was not tended by a lifeguard, in combination with the operation of an adjacent bar serving alcoholic drinks without the necessary safeguards for the participants."

The court ruled that these oversights caused the death of the 18-year-old Brit.