Dominic Cummings' potential breach of the lockdown rules has dominated the news this week.

The Prime Minister's adviser came under fire after it was revealed that he had driven 260 miles from London to his family's property in Durham where he self-isolated with his wife and four-year-old child.

During his stay, he also drove to Barnard Castle to "test his eye sight" to see if he was fit enough to travel back down to London.

Durham Constabulary later revealed that he had not breached regulations in his journey to Durham but might have done when he went to Barnard Castle.

So far, Boris Johnson has resisted calls to sack Mr Cummings and has stated his desire to "move on".

The scandal came alongside a number of other significant developments in the country's response to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Here are some of the non-Dominic Cummings stories from the last week:

NHS test and trace programme launches

The new "test and trace" system designed end the lockdown came into force on Thursday

It's designed to stop coronavirus spreading even as life gets closer to back to normal - or close to it - with children attending school and shops re-opening.

And if there are future outbreaks of the virus, local lockdowns will be introduced rather than nationwide measures.

People in specific cities, towns or even housing estates could be barred from leaving their homes, with local councils responsible for overseeing the restrictions.

Newcastle, Northumberland and North Tyneside have been chosen to pilot one of the most important elements of the scheme, by drawing local lockdown plans.

Boris Johnson announces changes to lockdown

People from different households will be free to meet up in parks and gardens in another significant loosening of lockdown rules, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced.

The Prime Minister announced what he called "limited and cautious" changes. They include

Chancellor reveals how furlough scheme will be scaled back

The Government is to begin winding down the furlough scheme which was designed to save jobs during the coronavirus lockdown, Chancellor Rishi Sunak has confirmed.

At the moment, the Treasury pays the wages of 8.4 million workers who might otherwise have lost their jobs. But employers will be told to begin contributing from August, with their share of the costs rising in September and again in October.

It means the payments received by people who are furloughed stay the same - but it could also mean that some simply lose their jobs.

Ministers argue that many have been saved because of the unprecedented help the Treasury has provided so far - and the furlough scheme, which has cost £15 billion so far, cannot continue forever.

Speaking at the daily Downing Street press conference, Mr Sunak said: "As we re-open the economy, there is broad consensus across the political and economic spectrum the furlough scheme cannot continue indefinitely."

And he said: "I have decided to ask employers to pay only a modest contribution, introduced slowly over the coming months."

Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak

Premier League sets provisional return date of June 17

Premier League clubs have agreed to resume the 2019/20 season on June 17 following the latest meeting.

Clubs unanimously agreed to move to phase two of return to training protocol earlier this week and are pushing ahead with Project Restart, with the season set to be completed from mid-June.

Following the latest meeting between Premier League clubs on Thursday, the top-flight teams have agreed to a restart date of June 17 - which will kickstart a frenzy of action to complete the season.

The first pair of matches will be on Wednesday June 17, with Manchester City hosting Arsenal and Sheffield United clashing with Aston Villa - the two fixtures that were initially postponed due to the Carabao Cup final.

Newcastle International Airport flights return next week

Flights from Newcastle International Airport will resume from next week.

Passengers will initially be able to fly to Amsterdam and Aberdeen - with flights to Spain and France expected later in the month.

However, passengers must follow strict new safety rules.

All passengers must wear face masks inside the terminal, while a trial to check people's temperatures will be held.

It is a welcome boost for the aviation industry, which has struggled due to a collapse in demand throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. On Thursday, EastJet announced 30% of staff could lose their jobs.

Great North Run cancellation is "likely scenario", organisers say

The head of the company behind the Great North Run is facing up to having no events in 2020, despite the huge loss the cancellation of the half marathon would cause the North East economy.

Paul Foster, chief executive of the Great Run Company and son of its founder Brendan, said he expected to join businesses across the country in suffering “some serious financial impact” as it grappled with the likely cancellation of running races throughout the UK.

September’s Great North Run - due to be the 40th event - has not been cancelled as of yet, but the company is working on the “likely scenario” that it won’t take place.

That would leave the company having to refund tens of thousands of runners, but would also be a massive blow to the North East economy, with the event bringing in more than £30m each year and helping raise around £26m for charities.

New £7.6m bailout will keep Metro running until August

Metro trains will be able to run until at least August, after the government offered up another £7.6 million to help the struggling network through the coronavirus crisis.

North East transport bosses say the new cash will sustain the Metro for two more months, allowing for a full train service to return.

It is hoped that running the normal number of trains throughout the week will help passengers to observe social distancing as more shops and workplaces reopen.

An earlier £8.6 million government bailout for the Metro was announced earlier this month, following weeks of warnings that the network was facing financial ruin and losing around £1 million a week during the pandemic.

Metro increased its train frequency to the usual one every 12 minutes from Monday to Friday until 8pm last week, but the extra cash will now allow for a full return to the scheduled train timetable in the coming weeks.