A football fan was glassed in the face for 'no reason' by a coked up thug who scarred him for life.

Damien Hackett was on a night out with three friends dancing on a podium when he was approached by Calvin Elliott, 27, who reached up and initially shook his hand.

Shocking CCTV footage showed Elliott then grab Mr Hackett's ankle or foot before jabbing a glass up into his face, the Liverpool Echo reports.

Mr Hackett had travelled over to Liverpool from Ireland with three friends for the weekend and were in a local nightclub when the attack happened.

Elliott, of Weaver Avenue, Rainhill, was only "an inch or so" away from blinding the victim, a judge said yesterday (Tuesday).

Liverpool Crown Court heard Mr Hackett was a Liverpool fan who intended to watch the Reds' away game against Crystal Palace in the city on Saturday, November 23, 2019.

He and his friends went out on the Friday night and at around 3am the next day went into the nightclub, Popworld.

Christopher Hopkins, prosecuting, said: "He describes that he doesn't remember anything leading up to being assaulted.

"He remembers feeling what he thought was a glass being jabbed into his face. He felt very disoriented and was bleeding heavily and was very shaken.

"His friend Rory Doyle describes thinking that words were exchanged, but due to the volume of the music he couldn't hear what was said.

"He did see the defendant in his words jab with an upwards motion with a glass into his friend's face."

Mr Hopkins added: "Immediately prior to that, the defendant grabs the complainant's ankle or foot in an attempt to pull him off balance."

Judge Brian Cummings, QC, gasped when the CCTV showed Elliot glassing Mr Hackett.

Mr Hopkins said: "The complainant you can see is leaning down and shaking hands we think at this stage with the defendant.

"He looks like he's smiling. It doesn't appear to be in the Crown's submission any kind of confrontation."

Mr Hopkins added that Elliott appeared to give a gesture for "okay" before glassing the victim.

Elliot ran off but was stopped by Popworld staff, who had watched the CCTV and asked him for his ID.

He didn't have any and they took his mobile phone, which they said would be given to the police.

The victim went to hospital in a taxi and received three stitches for a 1cm cut to his right cheek, which left a scar.

Calvin Elliott, 27

When interviewed by police, Elliott said he had been to a boxing match and on a scale of drunkenness "was nine or 10 out of 10".

Mr Hopkins said Elliott - who has since admitted also taking cocaine - said he didn't remember much and may have gone to throw his drink.

Elliott, formerly of Lowther Crescent, St Helens, denied wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

He was set to stand trial but the Crown accepted his guilty plea to the lesser offence of wounding.

The court heard he has a previous conviction for common assault in 2007.

However, Judge Cummings said he would treat Elliott as having no previous convictions for violence, as he was only 13 at the time.

Elliot was convicted of drug driving in March 2017 and on April 6 this year for failing to provide a specimen for analysis, which the court heard was over a drink driving incident in South Cumbria on November 15, 2020.

Judge Cummings said Elliott referred in a pre-sentence report to "alleged provocation or a level of it on the part of the victim".

Jeremy Hawthorn, defending, said this claim wasn't maintained and was his client "trying to fill in the gap in his own mind" as to what happened between shaking hands and the attack.

Mr Hawthorn said Elliott was always going to plead guilty to wounding and "gave a lot of information about himself, some of which is not strictly in his interest".

He said Elliott attended a police station voluntarily, to which Judge Cummings said: "Is it voluntary when they've got his phone?"

Mr Hawthorn accepted his client went to reclaim the device, but said when interviewed and shown the CCTV, Elliott expressed remorse and said he wanted to apologise.

The lawyer said Elliott had been out of work this past year but had a construction skills certificate and was a trained forklift driver.

Mr Hawthorn said: "He has a child aged nearly three by a partner whom he doesn't live with, nevertheless he sees the child every weekend."

He said Elliott had been upfront about his "issues with substance misuse", adding: "I have to concede that must have played some part in this incident."

Mr Hawthorn said Elliot immediately accepted it was him on the CCTV and felt "moved to apologise rather than justify himself", which suggested there was a realistic prospect of rehabilitation.

Judge Cummings said the case involved high culpability "because of the use of the glass as a weapon".

He said it was a serious aggravating factor that the attack happened in a busy nightclub at 3am, when most people present would have been drinking.

The judge said: "There was every chance of an incident of this nature sparking major disorder. Fortunately, that didn't happen."

Referring to Elliot's last conviction, Judge Cummings said: "I'm afraid inevitably it doesn't help your standing in my eyes that having committed this serious assault, rather than stay completely out of trouble, within a year you have committed another offence involving drink. But there we are."

Judge Cummings said he kept "very clearly in mind" the fact Elliott hadn't received a prison sentence before.

However, he said: "I'm afraid at the end of the day that the brutal reality of this case is that you took it upon yourself to shove a glass into another person's face for no reason.

"An inch or so higher and you could have blinded him."

Elliott was jailed for 16 months, prompting two women sitting with a man in the public gallery to burst into tears.