A little girl and her baby brother have been found alive in their flat three days after their parents had ‘died from eating poisoned pickles’.

Worried relatives could not reach Alexander and Viktoria Yakunin, who have been described as the “perfect couple”.

They missed a family gathering and eventually their five-year-old daughter answered the phone.

The child said her dad, 30, and mum, 25, were “sleeping” for a long time and added that her dad had "turned all black".

The girl was looking after her one-year-old brother.

The children are aged just five and one

Alexander's sister Natalia Bakulina, 36, rushed to the flat in the Leningrad area of Russia and her niece opened the door.

“I ran in….and saw everything. I fell down and screamed,” she said.

The parents were dead in bed.

The mum and dad are believe to have died of food poisoning
The pair left two children

Natalia called the police and emergency services, then dressed the children and took them out of the flat in Bolshoye Kuzyomkino village.

News outlet 78.ru said that food poisoning is suspected as the cause of the deaths.

Gas plant worker Alexander had been given a jar of homemade pickles by his grandmother the day before.

The jar was open in the kitchen, it was reported .

It is suspected that botulinum toxin from the pickles is the cause of death.

They were described as the perfect couple
The couple on their wedding day

The toxin causes paralysis and even death through respiratory failure.

Neighbour Mikhail Khomchenko ruled out alcohol poisoning, saying the couple did not drink.

“I have only positive feelings about them,” he said, stressing they were a "perfect couple”.

The children are now being cared for by Alexander’s father.