A child rapist spent his life on Liverpool's streets having committed horrific acts of sexual abuse against a young girl.

David Whiteside raped the child nine times and committed five other sexually abusive acts against her in Kirkby.

The 36-year-old then denied his crimes in court, forcing the woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, to relive his monstrous actions in a trial.

His victim said she couldn't even go into Liverpool city centre, where she knew he begged on the streets, out of fears of bumping into him.

Paul Becker, prosecuting at Liverpool Crown Court, read two victim person statements from Whiteside's victim to the court.

The woman said it was only when she learnt about sex education at school that she "realised what David had been doing".

She said: "I hope he suffers like he has made me suffer.

"I wake up in the night with terrors, crying, remembering what he did."

The woman said disgusting Whiteside would tell her "You know you want it" as he raped her.

She said she was a shy child but Whiteside's horrific abuse "made me withdraw into myself even more" adding "I didn't have an ounce of confidence at all".

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

She said: "I won't even go into Liverpool city centre where David lives on the streets and begs for a living because I'm scared of bumping into him."

After his trial she she was "angry David did all those things" and that he "forced" her to "go through the ordeal again"

Whiteside, of Prescot Road, Old Swan, was found guilty after a trial of nine counts of rape of a child, four counts of sexually assaulting a girl with no penetration and one count of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child.

Carmel Wilde, defending, said: "Although the defendant hasn't particularly led a good life since, his previous convictions are relatively low level."

She explained Whiteside had "difficulties in his home life" which led to his "misuse of drugs and alcohol".

Ms Wilde said: "Clearly the defendant was found guilty after a trial. Your honour will see he maintains his innocence although he accepts the jury's decision."

She said Whiteside was "keen to engage with probation" and confirmed he had already signed up for a number of programmes while in custody.

Judge Garrett Byrne, sentencing, said here had been a "devastating and long lasting effect" on Whiteside's victim.

The judge noted that Whiteside "singled her out" and also "threatened her".

Judge Byrne said Whiteside had "no relevant previous convictions" adding "on the other hand you have not led an unblemished life".

The judge said Whiteside was an offender of "particular concern" and jailed him for 13 years and nine months with an extended one year on licence.

This type of sentence means he will spend at least two thirds of the custodial term - 13 years and nine months - behind bars.

Whiteside will then only be released before the end of his sentence if a parole board considers he is no longer a risk.

A restraining order preventing Whiteside from contacting his victim was imposed for life.

He must also sign the Sex Offenders Register for life and adhere to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order for the same amount of time.