A brave little boy managed to save his mum, sister and pet rabbit from a fire that destroyed their family home.

Jenson Brown, 8, usually wakes up before the rest of his family and went downstairs to watch TV at 6am on October 13.

But he soon raced back upstairs to tell his mum the screen had exploded.

The family were forced to flee their home in Swindon, Wiltshire, as the flames quickly spread, eventually gutting the house and costing them everything.

It later turned out it was the tumble dryer that had caught fire, not the TV.

A fundraiser has since been launched to help Amy and partner Richard Bird out, which has already topped £1,000.

Amy, 33, said: ‘It’s an ongoing joke in our family that Jenson gets up at 5am.

Advertisement

Advertisement

‘If he had stayed in bed that day things could have been very different. We’re not going to get him to stay in bed again!

‘As I came downstairs I could see smoke starting to come under the kitchen door. He alerted me to the fact there was something wrong.’

Amy then took the children outside and went back into the kitchen, where the smoke was so thick she couldn’t see the family rabbit Naala.

Firefighters were scrambled to the house on October 13 and, happily, rescued the pet.

But Amy added: ‘Everything we had is just completely destroyed. The insurance company has told us there’s nothing that can be fixed. We’ve lost everything.’

Amy said she was shocked when her friend set up a fundraiser without her knowing.

She added: ‘It warms my heart to know there are people out there willing to help when help is needed.’

Firefighter Dave Adamson praised Jenson for his quick-thinking and raising the alarm.

He said: ‘A good night time routine is to close all your doors downstairs. What that will do is limit any fire damage to the room of origin.

‘You can cause more smoke damage through the rest of the property if you don’t have doors closed.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.