Great Britain

Boy, 4, 'screams in pain' as 89p Home Bargains bath foam 'engulfs him in ball of flames'

Liverpool: Partial building collapse on Anfield Road

Jonathan Beddard told the Liverpool Echo that the bath foam created a “fireball” and burnt his son Oscar. The "children’s mouldable bath foam" came into contact with a candle near where Oscar was bathing.

Mr Beddard said: “The foam has caught the candle and then basically engulfed Oscar in a ball of flames from body to head.

“I had just nipped out to the shop and was literally down the road when I got a call saying, ‘Oscar’s bath has set on fire, it’s that foam.”

Mr Beddard continued that Oscar’s mum, Nicola, 43, had been watching Oscar in the bath when the foam ignited.

He added: “We just had to keep dabbing him with cold water and towels while he was just sat there screaming in pain.”

READ MORE: Mum's fury as her housing provider tells her she 'own too many cats'

Oscar pre-burns

Oscar, four, was badly burnt after the bath foam he was playing with caught fire (Image: Liverpool Echo)

Oscar burns

Oscar was treated in hospital for a week (Image: Liverpool Echo)

Oscar was quickly taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, where he stayed for a week to treat the burns he received in the fire.

His family had feared that Oscar would need a skin graft to help him recover from his burns, but they have healed better than doctors first predicted.

The trauma has left more than just physical scars on the family.

Mr Beddard said: “It has affected him mentally, he’s not had a bath since, and he’s got more of a temper since it happened.”

Home Bargains

Mr Beddard recalls buying the bath foam from Earlestown's Home Bargains (Image: Google Maps/ Street View)

Mr Beddard, 31, recalls that he bought the "children’s mouldable bath foam" from the Home Bargains branch in Earlestown.

The family are now considering potential legal action against the high-street shop.

The family are reportedly in touch with a law firm regarding the incident.

DON'T MISS: 
Royal Family LIVE: Kate and William 'anxious' over Harry and Meghan [LIVE] 
Remoaner outcry torn apart as inflation surges across EU [REACTION]
The 10 most dangerous places to live and work in England MAPPED [MAP]

Alder Hey

Oscar was treated at Alder Hey Children's Hospital (Image: Google Maps/ Streetview)

There are claims that there was not sufficient warning that the product was extremely flammable.

However, Mr Beddard told the Echo that on the back of the product’s packaging there was a “little flammable sign.”

Mr Beddard is now running the Manchester 10K to raise money for Ronald McDonald house.

The charity provides accommodation for family members of those being treated at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, and is where Nicola and Jonathan stayed whilst Oscar was a patient.

You can find a link to Jonathan Beddard’s charity run here.

Football news:

Ronaldo on Sulscher's criticism: Manchester United players must take responsibility for themselves. All in the same boat
Sulscher about Manchester United: We are not happy that we lost points. But Ronaldo has only been with us for a month, Sancho for two. We will add
Muller on Kimmich: As a teammate, I am for vaccination, if I think about others, as a friend, I can make his decision
Chelsea won't buy Saul out. He spent 45 minutes in the Premier League
Pioli on 4-2 with Bologna: Milan made a mistake, deciding that the game was over at 2-0, but found the strength to win
Steve McManaman: Ruediger is better than Real Madrid defenders and will make him stronger. Soon it will be the most glamorous place in the world
Milan won 8 of the first 9 league matches for the first time since the 1954/55 season