Boris Johnson has addressed the nation this evening as he announced changes to the roadmap out of lockdown.
In the press conference, broadcast from Downing Street, the Prime Minister said he will delay the roadmap and not start Step Four in England on June 21.
England will instead remain at step three for four more weeks until Monday, July 19.
READ MORE: Government warning to 'minimise travel' in and out of Liverpool City Region
Which step on the roadmap the country progresses into is determined by four key tests. They tests act like a checklist that must be met before moving on to the next step of reopening.
These tests determine whether the vaccine rollout is going as planned, if vaccines are effective in bringing down death rates and hospitalisations, if case numbers aren’t rising to a level that it becomes unsustainable for the NHS, and if new variants don’t create unforeseen risks.
Two of these tests have not been met. Boris Johnson said that the two are the tests on variants changing the risks, and the risk of a 'surge in hospitalisations' which would put pressure on the NHS.
However, there will be an easing of the rules from June 21 for weddings, care homes, and wakes.
Will there be another review?
There will be a two-week review of the delay on June 28, and the PM’s official spokesman said if data is “much better than expected”, restrictions could then be eased on Monday 5 July.
Boris Johnson said he is 'confident' we won't again delay the roadmap again after July 19.
There is no guarantee step four will not be delayed again, and the move to step four will only be confirmed on July 12.
But Boris Johnson’s official spokesman said: “The Prime Minister is confident we will not need any more than a four-week delay”.
Is the vaccine target on track?
The government has officially brought forward its July 31 target to offer a first dose of vaccine to all over-18s in the England.
Instead it now aims to offer all adults a first dose of the vaccine by July 19 - the new date step four should take effect.
At the same time, ministers have set a new target to offer all eligible over-40s in England a second dose by July 19 at the latest.
To achieve this, all over-40s will now be offered their second dose eight weeks after their first - not 12 weeks, as is the case now.
The dose “interval” had already been shortened for over-50s, but that will now happen for people in their 40s as well.
Number 10 said people in their 40s will be contacted to change their appointment date for their second dose, so they do not need to contact the NHS or their GP themselves.
These changes should mean two-thirds of adults have been offered both doses by July 19.
What are the changes to weddings?
The 30-person limit on weddings will be removed in England from June 21, despite step four being delayed.
That means there will be no numerical limit on either receptions or ceremonies - either indoors or outdoors.
Instead, capacity limits will be the highest number of people venues can accommodate while still being Covid-secure.
This is the approach that is already taken to funerals.
The 30-person limit will also be lifted on weddings outdoors on private land, including in gardens. There will be a risk assessment which organisers need to fill out.
It will mean weddings with hundreds of people can go ahead after months of uncertainty.
But other restrictions on weddings - including the ban on most singing and dancing, and guests having to wear masks at certain points - will remain in place until step four.
People at an indoor venue will need to be on tables of no more than six people. Indoor venues must shut off their dance floors - apart from for the “first dance”.
Marquees on private land need to have two sides open to qualify as 'outdoors'.
The rule of six indoors still applies to weddings in private homes - except for deathbed weddings, which can have up to 30 guests.
What about wakes?
The 30-person limit on other commemorative events including wakes will be lifted in England from June 21.
Instead, capacity will be driven by the maximum number of people a venue can accommodate within Covid-secure rules.
This means wakes will follow the same capacity rules as funerals and weddings.
Will care home restrictions be relaxed?
Rules on visits outside care homes will be relaxed in England from June 21, despite the delay in other areas.
The PM’s spokesman said: “The requirement for residents to isolate for 14 days after visits out of care homes will also be removed in most cases.”
It is not yet confirmed which cases will still require a 14-day isolation.
However, officials indicated care home residents won’t need to isolate at all after visits outside their home, apart from possibly hospital visits.
It’s not yet known if this will allow residents to have overnight stays with relatives.
Fuller guidance is due to be published by the Department of Health and Social Care.
The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics - including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.
There are others on what's on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.
Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.
How to sign up for an Echo Email Update
1) Go to our dedicated newsletter page at this link.
2) Put your email in the box where indicated
3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.
4) Press Save changes and that's it!
Are there changes to large events?
There are no changes to indoor hospitality rules, or any changes to allow large events to go ahead in a blanket way without social distancing.
However Number 10 said it will look at holding more events research pilots which could help theatres and similar venues in the long run.
Do we still need to wear masks?
General laws on masks in shops and on public transport remain in place, and are not being lifted from June 21.
Do we still work from home?
Advice to work from home where possible will continue to apply after June 21, due to the delay to step four.