WHEN police finally caught up with a driver who had led them on a high-speed chase reaching 132mph she told them: “You didn’t expect a girl to be driving.”

Magistrates heard that 21-year-old Naffisa Ull Nissa Hussain, of Blackburn, veered from lane to lane as she drove in both directions along a dual carriageway, reversed down a sliproad and was eventually stopped by a “stinger” which punctured her tyres.

Prosecutor James Neary said the incident began at 1.45am on September 25 when a police officer spotted Hussain's VW Passat travelling at high speed on the A55 near Llanddulas in Wales.

He followed her at about 85mph and saw her weaving from lane to lane, so suspected she was drunk and put his blue lights on.

She flashed her headlights at a lorry which was overtaking another HGV and then reached 107mph approaching St Asaph, where she went off the A55, around a roundabout and then started heading westwards again, reaching 132mph.

Mr Neary said the police then decided it would become a “tactical pursuit”, with an incident manager in charge, and the original officer was instructed to back off.

The Passat was then spotted heading along the A470 towards Llanrwst before returning to the Black Cat roundabout at Glan Conwy. Hussain, reversed down a sliproad off the A55 then once again went along the A470 towards Llanrwst.

Police officers followed, with blue lights displayed, and the car was brought to a halt on the outskirts of the town.

Hussain had done a runner but was found in a nearby alleyway.

She told them: “I’m sorry, I should have stopped. You didn’t expect a girl to be driving.”

When interviewed Hussain, of Hawkshaw Bank Road, said she panicked “and just wanted to go home”.

“She said she was Asian and should have been at home,” said Mr Neary.

Referring to the prolonged period involved, he told the court: “Reversing down the sliproad is itself dangerous driving.”

Hussain pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and to having no licence. The court heard that her licence had been revoked though no details of that were given.

Rebecca Boswell, defending, said she lived with her parents and was not permitted to be out.

“She made some very stupid decisions while she was scared,” she said.

Hussain was bailed to appear at Mold Crown Court for sentence on January 9 and in the meantime was given an interim disqualification.

The magistrates ordered a pre-sentence report by the probation service.