Ant Middleton was axed from SAS: Who Dares Wins earlier this year, so some viewers may be confused as to why he is starring in the latest series.

The 2021 series of the popular Channel 4 show began on Sunday 9 May with 21 new recruits taking on the gruelling challenges.

Ant, 40, was confirmed as a member of the drill squad for this year despite being axed in March.

He is joined by his team of directing staff, Mark 'Billy' Billingham, Jason 'Foxy' Fox, and new DS, Melvyn Downes.

The current series of the reality quasi-military training television show was filmed before Ant was dropped over his personal conduct.

Ant Middleton stars in the current series of SAS: Who Dares Wins despite being axed earlier this year
Ant Middleton stars in the current series of SAS: Who Dares Wins despite being axed earlier this year

TV bosses said they will never work with the star again because of his "personal conduct".

And the decision came months after Ant was heavily criticised in June last year after he branded Black Lives Matter protesters "absolute scum".

But his BLM remarks were not the sole reason for the decision to ditch him from the SAS Who Dares Win series.

The 2021 series of the popular Channel 4 show began on Sunday 9 May with 21 new recruits taking on the gruelling challenges
The 2021 series of the popular Channel 4 show began on Sunday 9 May with 21 new recruits taking on the gruelling challenges

A number of staff raised concerns with makers Minnow Films and Channel 4 during an end of year review where they were allowed to speak anonymously.

Following the investigation, Channel 4 held meetings and decided to stop working with Ant and informed him of this decision.

The station told the Mirror at the time: "We can’t comment on anonymous allegations, however, we take issues of welfare very seriously.

Ant was dropped over his personal conduct after Channel 4 received complaints from female members of crew
Ant was dropped over his personal conduct after Channel 4 received complaints from female members of crew

"We clearly set out our expectations of behaviour in our Supplier Code of Conduct. We are satisfied appropriate action has been taken."

Defending himself while discussing his career mishap on a podcast, the star also took aim at what he regards as a rise in “victim mentality”.

Ant has since hit back at the reports and claims that he made "lewd and suggestive comments" to women on the set of SAS: Who Dares Wins
Ant has since hit back at the reports and claims that he made "lewd and suggestive comments" to women on the set of SAS: Who Dares Wins

The Daily Star reports him saying: “I can get as drunk as a skunk and that’s not in my nature, that’s not who I am.

“My family knows that and my wife knows that. I’m more of a boys’ boy – let’s f*** off the chicks and go and have a drink with the lads.

“It makes me realise how this victim mentality is really taking over.

“My career could be cancelled if I wasn’t who I am. I’m too far gone and too long in the tooth now to be completely cancelled.”

SAS: Who Dares Wins airs Sundays at 9pm on Channel 4.