The Premier League need to provide 'answers and greater transparency' over the failure of the proposed Newcastle United takeover.

That is according to Emma Lewell-Buck, Labour MP for South Shields, who has written a letter to Premier League CEO Richard Masters.

PCP Capital Partners, the Reuben Brothers and the Saudi Public Investment Fund pulled out of their bid to buy Newcastle last Thursday.

Amanda Staveley, who would have held a 10 per cent stake in Newcastle had their bid been successful, laid the blame firmly at the door of the Premier League.

The bid reached the Premier League Owners and Directors Test 18 weeks ago but the piracy issues and human rights atrocities attributed to Saudi Arabia led to an incredibly complicated takeover process.

The delays seemingly took their toll when Newcastle's would-be owners released a statement announcing they had pulled out of a deal to buy the Magpies.

The Premier League have repeatedly declined to comment about the takeover process but the pressure for them to provide greater clarity is increasing by the day, particularly given the consortium behind the takeover bid are said to be willing to revive the deal.

Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley

Why should you sign up?

The takeover saga at Newcastle United has been the talk of Tyneside in recent months, with the £300m bid from Amanda Staveley, Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund and the Reuben brothers now being wthdrawn.

By signing up to our twice daily newsletter, you'll get all the latest news on the takeover - and all things black-and-white - straight to your inbox.

We'll also send out special newsletters with any breaking transfers news.

How do you sign up?

It's really easy and only takes a few seconds.

Just click on this link to our newsletter sign up form and select NUFC - all you have to do is enter your email address and you're all done.

If you decide to unsubscribe at any stage, simply follow the unsubscribe link on any of our newsletters - but we don't think you'll want to.

A petition calling for an investigation into the Premier League's takeover process has now passed the 80,000 mark. Meanwhile the Newcastle United Supporters Trust, whose membership base has increased by over 2,000 members in the last week, is taking the fight to the Premier League as well and accused them of 'ignoring' the fans of the club in a hard-hitting statement that calls for local politicans to come together to petition the game's authorities.

Politicians are seemingly answering that call as Chi Onwurah, Labour MP for Newcastle Central, as well as Newcastle City Council leader Pat Ritchie demanding answers from the League's decision makers.

And Lewell-Buck also took to Twitter on Wednesday afternoon to inform her constituents that she has expressed her concern to Masters over the handling of the Newcastle United takeover process.

"I’ve received 100s of emails from constituents and NUFC fans who have expressed concern over the Premier League‘s handling of the failed takeover process," she said.

"Today I’ve written to the League’s Chief Executive to ask for answers and greater transparency."

You can follow all of the latest Newcastle United takeover news right here.