A woman subjected to a three-and-a-half year campaign of abuse by her bodybuilder ex-husband has slammed prosecutors over their handling of the case against him.

Rebecca Larkin suffered threats of violence and verbal abuse during her marriage to Imran Asif.

Asif, 32, was handed a two-year supervision order and told to wear a tag for four months after being convicted of abusing Rebecca.

But she is furious the Crown Office did not pursue assault charges against Asif, of Govan, Glasgow.

The Crown said there was a lack of evidence but Rebecca, 28, said crucial evidence including text messages, CCTV and medical reports on her injuries were not used.

She lodged a complaint but Crown officials wrote back to tell her it had not been upheld.

She said: “I’m disgusted at how I, as a victim of domestic abuse, have been treated.

“Imran walked away with a slap on the wrist after making my life hell. I feel so let down by the justice system.”

The couple met in 2013 through social media and were married the following year.

Rebecca says her husband quickly became controlling and aggressive.

Imran Asif subjected Rebecca Larkin to three-and-a-half years of hell

The mum-of-one claims he threatened her with a knife and kicked in the bathroom door when she locked herself inside after she refused to make him food.

However, the allegation that Asif threatened her with a knife was deleted from the charge against him.

Asif had also faced an allegation that he pursued Rebecca with a blade as she carried their son but this was deleted from the list of charges.

Rebecca added: “He admitted in court that he attacked the bathroom door with a knife and kicked the door off the hinges but the line about holding a knife at me was removed.

“My question is, ‘Why was he kicking in the bathroom door?’”

Asif admitted behaving in a threatening and abusive manner towards Rebecca at addresses in Glasgow and Kilwinning, Ayrshire, between January 2014 and August 2017.

Read More

Top news stories today

He repeatedly shouted, punched and kicked walls and doors, took radiators off walls, repeatedly struck a door with a knife and uttered threats of violence.

The thug also admitted to striking a door and causing it to hit Rebecca on the body while she was pregnant.

At his sentencing at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week, he was also given a two-year non-harassment order banning him from contacting or approaching Rebecca.

A letter sent to Rebecca by prosecutors stated: “In this case, there was insufficient evidence about the assaults you reported to the police and for that reason the case did not proceed with charges of assault against the accused.”

The Crown Office said: “The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service takes a rigorous approach to crimes of domestic abuse.

One of the abusive messages sent to Rebecca Larkin by Imran Asif

“Decisions to prosecute are taken after consideration of the individual facts and circumstances of each case and where there is sufficient, admissible evidence of a crime and it is in the public interest to do so.”

The Sunday Mail put the claims made by Rebecca to Asif.

He said: “There were only certain things I got convicted of that were true.

“People can tell you whatever they want but it’s not what I got convicted of.”