Around 78 British nationals who had been stuck on a Japanese cruise ship hit by coronavirus will be quarantined in Arrowe Park Hospital.

Staff had been told they could move back into an accommodation block which had already been used to quarantine 93 Brits evacuated from the coronavirus epicentre in Wuhan, China.

However an internal email from Arrowe Park chief executive Janelle Holmes, leaked to the ECHO, apologises for the "change of plan" and announced a new tranche of evacuees is due in the coming days.

The new evacuees are among around 3,700 passengers on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which had been kept under quarantine off the dock of Yokohama, Japan.

Around 690 people on the ship had been infected with the virus.

The coronavirus quarantine patients arrived at Arrowe Park two weeks ago

The email says: "As you may have seen in the press, 78 British nationals are currently quarantined on board a cruise ship in Japan and the UK Foreign Office has been working to organise a flight back to the UK to repatriate them.

"Following the successful management of two previous groups of repatriated British citizens, from Wuhan in China, Arrowe Park has been asked to host the Britons from Japan and look after them throughout their quarantine period.

"We are still waiting for final confirmation of how many will be joining us but we wanted you to be aware of the situation as soon as we could.

"Everyone being repatriated will be assessed before boarding the plane in Japan, monitored during the flight and will continue to be monitored after landing in the UK.

"No one showing symptoms of COVID-19 will board the plane in Japan. If anyone develops symptoms during the flight, they will be assessed and transferred to a suitable NHS hospital on landing in the UK.

Patients held at Arrowe Park's Coronavirus quarantine accommodation are released, having all tested negative for the deadly virus. The 83 Brits, who were flown back from Wuhan China and taken to Arrowe Park Hospital can now all leave the facility. Pictured here are security outside the accommodation on Thursday morning.

"I am aware we had only recently told you we were in the process of supporting the staff displaced from the accommodation block to move back in, and I want to apologise to you for this change of plan so soon after that communication...

"As I’m sure you can appreciate, the response to this outbreak has required everyone respond quickly to an evolving situation.

Do you have a story or tip-off? You can get in touch, in complete confidence if necessary, below:

You can read more of his stories here

Email him on [email protected]

Keep up to date with the latest breaking news here

"We want to express our gratitude to those affected and apologise for the ongoing inconvenience but thank you for your continued support.

"I remain committed to ensuring you are all kept well informed, and I want to again assure you, that my door, and that of the rest of the executive team here, are open to you, should you have any questions. "

NHS Chief Executive Simon Stevens said: "As people from the Diamond Princess arrive from Japan they will be offered expert support and supervision back here from the NHS.

"These are demanding and unusual circumstances, so we're all very grateful to the exceptional NHS teams working at Arrowe Park and their wider partners, who are once again stepping-up to look after this new group of quarantined guests."

All the previous 93 patients were released with a clean bill of health after staying in the accommodation block for 14 days.