A 55-stone man who took up four hospital beds despite being medically well fit enough to leave has finally been discharged after an 18-month stay.
Matthew Crawford, 34, is thought to have racked up NHS bills costing hundreds of thousands of pounds after taking up a four-bed bay at The King’s Mill Hospital in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.
At the time an NHS source told The Mirror that Mr Crawford was due to be moved to a different unit but it had fallen had through after it was discovered he had a conviction for attacking nurses.
Due to a lack of appropriate social care available, Mr Crawford had to remain at the hospital and the source said his bed-blocking meant they had to turn other patients away.
He had been sleeping on reinforced beds that are said to cost up to £7,000 a week and required equipment to help move him.
It was also claimed in October, last year, that Mr Crawford was using his benefits to order takeaways to his bedside every week and was pictured posing with a bottle of champagne.
However, Mr Crawford and his mother both denied these claims and blamed social services for the delay in discharging him.
The source told The Mirror at the time: ‘Everybody is sick to the back teeth with the situation and it’s about time it was exposed.
‘There’s nothing medically wrong with Matt now but we’re powerless to get rid of him.’
‘There’s space for four people who need to be on the ward being taken up by one bloke who doesn’t.’
But a year on, the trust has revealed Mr Crawford has finally moved to a ‘more appropriate setting’.
A spokesperson for Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Trust said: ‘While we are not able to comment on the care of individual patients for reasons of
confidentiality, we can confirm that Mr Crawford is no longer in the care of Sherwood Forest Hospitals.
‘We are pleased for all concerned that he is now in a more appropriate setting.’
Mr Crawford also confirmed he had left hospital on his Facebook page on Tuesday and revealed he is now on Slimming World.
He hit back at critics and addressed the claims he had been ordering weekly takeaways during his stay.
He wrote: ‘If you all knew the truth you would think different. I’ve not had a takeaway for months and even before that, I would have one every couple of weeks.
‘The only food my mum brings in for me is some haslet and pickle cobs which I have instead of a hospital dinner.
‘I was originally admitted I was seriously ill with sepsis and I took a lot of persuading for them to take me to hospital.
‘Social services didn’t do anything to help find me a placement for nearly three months until the hospitals legal team got involved.’