Great Britain

10pm Man Utd transfer news LIVE: January targets, Cavani faces FA racism probe, Van de Beek’s swollen ankle

MANCHESTER UNITED are preparing to face Paris Saint-Germain in their crunch Champions League group game.

Win this and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are all-but certain to win Group H, after a thrilling comeback win over Southampton.

However, United have been rocked by news Edinson Cavani is facing an FA probe over the use of a racist word on social media.

Get all the latest news, updates and gossip from Old Trafford here...

  • 'NOT ENOUGH'

    Troy Deeney believes that Edinson Cavani deserves more than a three-match ban for his 'racist' social media post on Sunday.

    Asked on talkSPORT whether three matches is a severe enough punishment, Deeney said: "No, I don’t think it is.

    “It’s a considered post. He’s written it out, thought about it, and he’s got people around him who would say, ‘I don’t think you should really do that’.

    "He’s probably acted in a moment of happiness, obviously after scoring, that’s why I don’t take it as he meant offence by it, he just hasn’t understood the ramifications of his words.

    “I do think at times three games isn’t enough, because it’s got to be three games with a form of education in my opinion.

    “There needs to be an understanding that these words hurt people and the reasons why they hurt people."

  • FA CUP DRAW

    Manchester United have been drawn against Watford at home in the FA Cup third round.

    The game will be played on the weekend of 9 and 10 January 2021.

  • ROO BEAUTY

  • ZAK ATTACK

    Man City are ready to battle it out with neighbours United and Chelsea in the race for Monchengladbach’s Denis Zakaria.

    The 24-year-old midfielder, whose contract runs until 2022, has just returned to action after fighting back from a long-term knee injury.

    Italian football journalist Fabrizio Romano told his Here We Go podcast that City have already been in contact with Zakaria’s agent.

    He said: “Manchester City are focusing on Zakaria, he is so appreciated by the board, they are following him, they are in contact with his agent.

    “So he’s for sure on the list of Manchester City, there is nothing advanced yet because they are not negotiating yet with Borussia Monchengladbach, they need time.”

    Further reports claimed last month that both Manchester United and Chelsea were looking at making a move for the attacker.

  • NAME GAME

    Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey says his new son Leo Cristiano is not named after Barcelona ave Lionel Messi or Man Utd icon Cristiano Ronaldo.

    The Jamaican claims the baby's name is 'nothing to do with football' despite the obvious similarities.

    He told German outlet Bild: "It has nothing to do with football, but with me and my name. 

    "Leo is an abbreviation of Leon. And Leo is the lion - I am a lion. 

    "I believe that my son will also grow up with the mentality of being a fighter and a leader. 

    "And Cristiano is a lovely name that goes well with Leo."

  • CAVANI RAP

    Edinson Cavani still faces a three match ban despite making a public apology for his “negrito” Instagram comment.

    Under FA regulations, using a discriminatory word, regardless of context, leaves the South American open to a charge.

    Manchester United jumped to Cavani’s defence, insisting: "It is clear to us that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind Edinson’s message and he deleted it as soon as he was informed that it could be misconstrued.

    "Edinson has issued an apology for any unintentional offence caused. Manchester United and all of our players are fully committed to the fight against racism."

    But that seems unlikely to avoid the prospect of action, which leaves the striker facing an automatic three-game ban if found guilty.

    New regulations, brought in by the FA in August, distinguish between language used on and off the pitch, including on social media.

  • EDIN APOLOGY

    Edinson Cavani has apologised for the 'racist' social media post he sent as he celebrated the win over Southampton.

    The Manchester United striker, 33, took to Instagram on Sunday night and replied to a comment with 'Gracias Negrito!'.

    The FA launched an investigation into the use of the word - the same one which landed his international team-mate Luis Suarez an eight-match ban - with a three-match ban on the cards for the Uruguayan.

    The forward said in a statement: "The message I posted after the game on Sunday was intended as an affectionate greeting to a friend, thanking him for his congratulations after the game.

    "The last thing I wanted to do was cause offence to anyone.

    "I am completely opposed to racism and deleted the message as soon as it was explained that it can be interpreted differently. I would like to sincerely apologise for this.”

  • DIDN'T MEAN ANI OFFENCE

    Edinson Cavani apologised for his 'racist' social media post as he celebrated the win over Southampton.

    The Manchester United striker, 33, took to Instagram on Sunday night and replied to a comment with 'Gracias Negrito!'.

    The FA launched an investigation into the use of the word - the same one which landed his international team-mate Luis Suarez an eight-match ban - with a three-match ban on the cards for the Uruguayan.

  • ED'S BAN DELAY

    Edinson Cavani is set to be available for Manchester United until Christmas week - even if he is charged for his allegedly 'racist' social media post.

    SunSport revealed that Wembley beaks have opened an investigation into Cavani’s Instagram response to a congratulatory message after firing his side to victory at Southampton.

    The Uruguayan answered a fan who posted a message of ‘asi te quiero matador’ - ‘I love you, matador’ - with the phrase: ‘Gracias negrito.’

    Under FA regulations, using a discriminatory word, regardless of context, leaves the South American open to a charge.

    United are understood to feel the use of the word, widely deployed in South America, was in an affectionate, although Cavani has been made aware that it might be misinterpreted.

    But that seems unlikely to avoid the prospect of action, which leaves the striker facing an automatic three-game ban if found guilty.

    Unless there was a charge and immediate guilty plea, Cavani will be available for the weekend game with West Ham and the Manchester derby against City on December 12.

  • FER REAL?

    Bruno Fernandes rubbished claims he can't play alongside Donny van de Beek.

    The Portuguese midfielder spoke after Manchester United's 3-2 comeback win over Southampton in which Dutch ace Van de Beek started his first Premier League game.

    Fernandes said: "Every midfielder in our team has quality. Donny has a lot of quality. We know we can play together and also with other players we have the team.

    "Everyone has quality to play and we know each other. We can play with three today then switch and play the next game with another three or another four.

    "It doesn't matter because all of them have quality and we can all be together on the pitch, everyone can make a difference.

    "Donny today played a really good game but Fred and [Nemanja Matic] were really important to us.They worked and they worked and they were two players who calmed down the game and moved the ball.

    In the second half that was crucial and they recovered a lot of balls and they ran a lot."

  • BAIL OUT

    Manchester United are reportedly hoping they can broker a swap deal with Villarreal involving Eric Bailly and Pau Torres.

    The La Liga side’s centre-back is wanted by a host of clubs across Europe, including Tottenham.

    The 23-year-old Spanish international is under contract until 2024.

    That deal includes a release clause of £60million - a figure United are not too keen to meet.

    However, TEAMtalk claims they hope out-of-favour Bailly could prove to be their ‘trump card’ in securing Torres.

    And it states the Red Devils believe there is a chance that Villarreal could be tempted to take back their former star next year.

Football news:

Conte on 2-1 with Milan: Before the winning goal, the result was unfair. Their goalkeeper is the best player of the match
Mikel Arteta: Arsenal did everything right, but they lost. Wins give confidence
Nicolo Barella: We proved that we are stronger than Milan
Go do your voodoo shit, you little ass. Ibrahimovic-Lukaku during the Cup match
Pioli on the defeat by Inter: The only difference was the relegation. There could be any result in equal teams
UEFA has no plans to abandon the Euro in 12 cities. Other options are undesirable
Eriksen scored for Inter for the first time in almost six months - Milan in the Cup in the 97th minute from a free kick